Featured Post

Is it Still Fun to be an Online Star Wars Fan? The Road to The Rise of Skywalker

*This will be a two-part series. The first details my thoughts on Lucas and the Fandom as the Sequel Trilogy was made. The second part ...

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Of Neighbors and Vagabonds

Another chapter in my life closes, a new one begins. It was a short chapter - only three months, but no less significant than a years worth of lessons. 

Due to my struggles I found myself living in a poorer part of town. It might have been called the Ghetto, but it would be more accurate to label the area Houston's "China Town". I did not live with the Asians, however, but a pocket of heavy African American population in an apartment complex called. "The Mint" 

The people I lived with, and perhaps many of my neighbors, were displaced Katrina victims from New Orleans who never moved back. Many of my neighbors seemed to congregate and loiter around a small convience store behind the complex. One man I met outside one evening was a little shocked to see this unassuming white boy walking around. Almost everyone assumed I was an undercover COP, even the children. The man explained this to me and then when it was clear I was not a COP and would not harass them for loitering or smoking, wondered why I lived in the Mint.

"You only live in the Mint if you've been to jail or just got out," he explained. 

I never feared any harm would come to me as I made my short walks to the convience store, despite the obviously bad neighborhood. I kept my awareness about me to be sure, but I know many of my friends and family would have preferred I not be out after dark in a neighborhood where the pizza guy won't even deliver after 6pm. 

What I observed was culture. I observed a way of life and a way of speaking among street people making their way in this world. Almost everyone knew each other, just like in any small town I have ever been to. I was the newcomer and stranger, and I was treated with curiosity, never threatened or harassed. This culture warrants a second blog, but my roomate, who I will refer to with his rapper name, T-money, was the most interesting of all. 

Whatever your prejudices against race, class, or moral views - whatever your ability to trust or distrust other humans when you first meet them - nothing will teach you more about how much the SAME we all are than to live with someone you would never have expected to live with. 

T-Money has big dreams like me. He works hard to make ends meet. He knows computers well and he loves and takes care of his somewhat eccentric mother whenever he can. His brother drives him crazy and is somewhat of a burden to him, and his brother's girlfriend is somewhat of a squatter but works hard at her job and somehow kept the place tidy. This family was strange but they had come together to survive in a world that makes it mandatory to live with other working people just to pay the rent at minimum wage. 

Don't judge my friends. Don't fear your neighbors. People will do you harm and common sense will keep you out of trouble, but I encourage everyone to take a closer look as I have. When we look closely at our neighbor we start to see what we might be able to do for them - and thus change the world. 

Tonight I start a new adventure in a new area of town. I leave that story for next time. 

2 comments: